Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Album Covers: Power In The Black Female Image


When I look at album covers of the past, I notice the various images of black women. This is particularly so with funk and soul albums, although jazz and disco had a fair share. The Ohio Players and The Stylistics were known for placing women on their album covers.  
As I look at these covers, I’m reminded that black women were the reason why a lot of albums sold. Fellas would look at those covers and see beautiful sexy sistas. It was a perfect pairing.  
What I admire most about these covers or the cover art is the celebration of black woman’s beauty. Many of the covers are sensuous avoiding overt raunchiness.  Much is left to the imagination of the viewer.
I appreciate the power that exudes from these images.  The women on these covers take firm possession of their sexuality.  One can see flirtation, contemplation and confrontation in some of the eyes that look back at you. Looking at these covers, I see self assured sistas tastefully sharing their pride.  Now, I could get on my soapbox about images that we see of black women today, but that is to come at a later time.  
Today, there’s so much objectification of black women’s bodies in ways that are terribly denigrating.These images are not about big asses and fake breasts. I can view these covers and see black women in their natural beauty without the modern technology of photoshop or reconstructive surgery. There is an authentic representation.
Female soul singers also have covers that draw the eye. Their covers boast of a simple beauty; women filled with dignity and grace. They have a story to tell. It is true, that these women did not sell sex appeal, but their talent.   

I thoroughly take pride in collecting this vinyl.  I have them as artifacts of great importance. I just imagine that when I am no longer living, someday-someone will stumble upon my collection and see the treasure of black beauty that I’ve collected.The records and their cover art will stand as a testament. They’ll understand that there once was a time when the black women were revered, honored, powerful, and sensual.

1 comment:

  1. Great article!! Would you mind giving the names of each of the albums up top in the photo? They’re so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete