Thursday, July 11, 2013

Don't Mistake Me For A Guy: Reflections From A Female Music Aficionado


As I begin to seriously study music in a deeper more historical and cultural way, it is becoming clearer that women are not very visible in this work. It may sound cliche, but I  would absolutely say that I've been a music geek from very early on.  I was a reader of liner notes to find out who was involved in the production of the album and what song has been sampled. I was a "name that tune" kinda person. There was a brief stint in trying the whole DJ thing; however, that was a hustle that I was not interested in for various reasons. After a hiatus from music while studying directing in a grad theatre program, I became disconnected from what I love so much. Thankfully, with some very deep self work and honest realizations-I now know that music is exactly where I belong.

On this leg of the journey I see that I want to study and express music in a different way that does not require me to stand behind the decks. About 10 year ago I started collecting vinyl. I've picked up the past time again and it is truly invigorating. Art on Wax is my platform for exploring cultural analysis through music. With all of this said-there is one caveat, the invisibility of women. When people see Art on Wax it is accompanied by a logo, not my face. Therefore, when I interact with folks in social media they automatically assume that I am male. I graciously correct their presumptuous position. Their response always comes with an embarrassed apology or aw, my bad. The more and more as I grow Art on Wax-the more I realize that this is truly my way of creating a voice for women who love music as much as dudes. Don't get it twisted, I respect the brothas out their who are doing there thing. I just don't always want to be in the position where men think that I'm one of them or act shocked because a "girl" is well versed in music and has a pretty nice collection or can play a mean 45's set.
Another tidbit that I notice is when I see someone like Andre Torres speak about Waxpoetics being a magazine geared toward the 20 and 30 something year old "guy"-it makes me take pause. I think to  myself "I am a 30 something year old woman and I like Waxpoetics". Is it not for me? It just reinforces the fact that we are not taken into account as being interested in the world of the music aficionado.

So, I am here to make our presence known and to share with the world an outlook that comes from a woman who is a  keen eared vinyl junkie who craves music knowledge. I also ask you out there to support women who are taking their place in the world of music in all facets.

No comments:

Post a Comment